Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home
– January 2, 2013
weather is much colder outside, and residents are using their heaters to stay
warm. Fire and Emergency Services wants you to avoid being a victim of carbon
monoxide poisoning while heating your home this winter.
monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is hard to detect and
can cause illness or possibly death before you know it’s there. Carbon monoxide
comes from incomplete combustion of gas or oil-fired appliances such as furnaces,
dryers, wood-burning stoves, fireplaces, and car engines. A high percentage of
carbon monoxide poisonings are from home heating systems that are not properly
installed or maintained.
of carbon monoxide poisoning are often mistaken for those accompanying the flu,
which include headache, nausea, confusion, dizzy spells, and fatigue. If you
feel the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning, go outside to fresh air
immediately and seek medical attention. Remember to call 911 to report a carbon
monoxide leak as well as any exposure symptoms.
are some tips to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning in your home:
sure that all home heating appliances are installed according to the manufacturer’s
instructions. Be sure to have it checked each year by a certified technician
before the temperature outside starts to drop.
a carbon monoxide detector in the hallway near the bedrooms and on every level
of the home. Make sure that everyone in the household knows the sound of the
carbon monoxide detector and the smoke detector. If the carbon monoxide
detector goes off, don’t ignore it; hit the reset feature on your detector and
if it goes off again, evacuate immediately and call 911.
use gasoline-powered tools and engines (such as generators) indoors. Generators
should be placed outdoors away from the structure in a well-ventilated area.
not burn charcoal or use portable fuel-burning camping equipment inside a
house, garage, vehicle, or tent.
using gas appliances such as ranges, ovens, or clothes dryers to heat your
you have to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after
starting it and make sure that the exhaust pipe is not obstructed.
using the fireplace, remember to open the flue for adequate ventilation.