On November 17, 2016, the Georgia Environmental Protection Division declared a Level 2 drought response for 52 Georgia counties, including Gwinnett. In response to this declaration, Gwinnett County Department of Water Resources would like to remind residents of current watering restrictions, as well as other ways to conserve water.
Outdoor Water Use Restrictions
For planting, growing, managing or maintaining ground cover, trees or shrubs, watering with an irrigation or sprinkler system is allowed on the following schedule:
For washing vehicles, homes, driveways and other structures:
- Even numbered addresses (those ending in 0, 2, 4, 6 or 8) may only water on Wednesday and Saturday, before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
- Odd numbered addresses (those ending in 1, 3, 5, 7 or 9) may only water on Thursday and Sunday, before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
- Personal use of water to wash vehicles or pressure wash structures is not allowed.
- Commercial car washes and pressure washing businesses are allowed to operate as usual.
You can use water outdoors any time for:
- Drip or soaker hose irrigation
- Watering personal food gardens
- Hand watering with a hose that has an automatic cut-off, or with a handheld container
- Irrigation of athletic fields, golf courses, or public turf grass recreational areas
- Hydro seeding
- Water from a private well
- Commercial agricultural operations
- Irrigation of plants held for sale, resale, or installation
- Installation, maintenance, or calibration of irrigation systems
- Alternative sources of water (grey water, rain water, condensate, etc.)
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions about the current guidelines for Outdoor Water Use.
More information is available from the Metropolitan North Georgia Water Planning District, the My Drop Counts website and the Georgia Environmental Protection Division.
Gwinnett County Department of Water Resources encourages water conservation year round and provides information on our website to help residents conserve water. Click here to visit our Conservation Page.