Skip to content
Gwinnett County Police Department Permits Unit
One Justice Square
446 West Crogan Street, Suite 200
Lawrenceville, GA 30046

Crystal Young, Program Analyst

Information Line

Hours of Operation
Monday through Thursday
8:00am – 11:30am and1:00pm – 4:30pm
Fridays: 8:00am – 11:30am
Closed on government holidays.

Due to the time required to complete the search on each permit applicant, groups of five (5) or more need to call for an appointment.

Required Identification:

  • Current, Valid State Issued Driver's License or ID Card


  • Current, Valid Government issued photograph passport

Payment Methods:

  • Cash (no loose or rolled change; exact cash amount please)
  • Credit (Except American Express)
  • Debit
  • Checks (State of Georgia only; no starter checks)
  • NOTE: Valid ID is required and verified to use a Debit or Credit Card.  We cannot accept cards that do not have a name printed on them or for someone not present.

Types of Permits Issued & Fees
Alcohol Pouring: $50
Pawn Broker Business Permit: $100
Adult Entertainment: $300
Poolroom Employee: $50
Burglar/Security Alarm Installer: $50
Poolroom Owners: $100
Canvasser/Solicitors: $50
Precious Metal Employees: $50
Copies: $.10 per page
Precious Metal Owners: $100
Escort/Dating Services: $300
Precious Metal Business Permit: $100
Fortune Telling/Related Practices: $100
Locksmith: $50
Pawn Broker Employees: $50
Pawn Broker Owners: $100

FAQ: Alcohol permits
Q: I have an out of state driver’s license.  Can I bring this as ID?
A: Yes, as long as the license is valid.

Q: I do not have a passport, what other ID is required?
A: The only ID you need to bring is a valid government pictured ID.

Q:  Can I pay with a credit/debit card?
A:  Yes, as long as your name is on the card.  If you bring in a card that has someone else’s name on the card, that person must come in the office with you.

Q: What arrests will prevent me from getting my permit?
A: To see the requirements, you can go to Type in Alcohol ordinances in the top right search bar.  This will take you to the county ordinances.

Q: Do I have to obtain a new permit if I change jobs?
A: No, as long as your permit is valid, you can use it to work at any restaurant in Unincorporated Gwinnett County that holds a valid alcohol license.
FAQ: Solicitors/Canvassers
Q: How can I file a complaint against a company, who is in violation?  We have a no soliciting sign at the front of our neighborhood. A:  A solicitor or canvasser entering a neighborhood where the sign is posted at the entrance is not in violation of the county ordinances.  The No Soliciting sign has to be on the property of the homeowner or business.  According to the county ordinance under Sec. 18-239 (2) for Unlawful or prohibited activities.  Canvassing or soliciting at any location where a sign is posted at or near the main entrance or driveway to the residence or business prohibiting such activity.
Firearms/Gun Permits
Firearm/Gun Carrying Permits are now processed entirely at the Gwinnett County Probate Court.  Please call 770.822.8250 or visit for hours/fee and to download the application. 

Effective Monday, June 27, 2016, the Gwinnett County Probate Court’s Weapons Carry License applicants will be fingerprinted at the Probate Court Office from 8:00am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.  Because the Weapons Carry License application is a three step process, applications must be received each day no later than 4:00pm. Please visit for more information.

Manual and Electronic fingerprinting is performed at this location during any of our open hours.  The fee for this service is $10 per card and it will be performed on cards provided by the applicant or on the federal applicant finger print card #FD258 which is provided to us by the FBI.

Please note that if your paperwork states Livescan, Cogent or GAPS submissions are required, we are not a part of the program and cannot provide this service.  You will need to follow the instructions given by the requestor or go to for additional information and instructions.

Record Restriction
Record Restriction requests for Gwinnett County Police arrests are received by the Gwinnett County Police Department, Records Unit at 770 Hi-Hope Road in Lawrenceville. For more information, please call 770.513.5000. Record Restriction requests for Gwinnett County Sheriff arrests are received by the Gwinnett County Sherriff’s Department headquarters at 2900 University Parkway (Highway 316) in Lawrenceville. For more information, please call 770.619.6900.
Criminal Background Checks
The Permits Unit processes criminal history/background checks for the state of Georgia only for a charge of $20. Criminal history/background checks will be completed within three business days. In some cases, you may receive it while you wait or be required to return to the Permits office to pick up the criminal history report. If you are unable to return, it can be mailed to a specified address. The criminal history report may be used for a record restriction request but the Permits Unit does not process record restriction requests.