Skip to content
FIRE AND EMERGENCY SERVICES RESPONSE BRIEFS

The following is a brief synopsis of a few of the incidents handled (today) Monday, September 4, 2017.  It does not include all calls for the time period.

HOUSE FIRE:

Firefighters responded at 12:25 a.m., (overnight) to a report of a house fire in the 4316 block of Acuba Court, SW in (unincorporated) Lilburn.  Crews arrived to find a working fire in the kitchen of a two-story, wood-frame house on a basement.  First-due companies quickly deployed attack hose lines and made immediate entry to conduct a primary search and to extinguish the fire.  The blaze was contained to the kitchen and caused heavy damage to the room and contents.  There was moderate smoke damage throughout part of the main and upper floors.  Firefighters found a deceased cat inside the home during the primary search.  The occupant was home at the time of the fire and was cooking.  The accidental blaze was sparked by hot oil that ignited in a pan on the stove.  The occupant discovered the fire and escaped unharmed.  The American Red Cross was contacted to assist the displaced occupant.  No photos available.   

Equipment at the scene included: 3-Engines, 1-Ladder Truck, 1-Squad, 1-Medic Unit, 1-Air & Light Unit and 2-Battalion Chiefs 

HOUSE FIRE:

Firefighters responded at 2:51 p.m., to an occupant report of a house fire in the 1800 block of Meadowchase Court, SW in Snellville.  Crews arrived to find smoke and flames showing from the front of a two-story, wood-frame house over a basement.  Flames were already extending to the second floor and attic as the first fire truck deployed attack hose lines.  The occupant was outside-safe when the fire department arrived and no injuries were reported.  One adult occupant was home at the time the fire erupted.  The man called 9-1-1 after discovering the front of the house ablaze.  The fire caused extensive damage to the structure and part of the attic.  Per the Fire Investigator, the blaze appears accidental and was possibly sparked by an improperly discarded cigarette on the front porch.  The occupant told firefighters that he was smoking outside earlier in the afternoon.  The American Red Cross was requested to assist the family (4-adults and 3-children) displaced by the damage.  See the below photos.          

Equipment at the scene included: 3-Engines, 1-Ladder Truck, 1-Squad, 1-Medic Unit, 1-Air & Light Unit, 2-Battalion Chiefs and 1-Fire Investigator   

 

POSSIBLE EXPLOSIVES DEVICE LOCATED: Firefighters responded at 4:33 p.m., to an employee report of a possible grenade located at the Goodwill of North Georgia at Hamilton Mill, 3295 Sardis Church Road, NE in (unincorporated) Buford.  An employee located the device in a bin of donated items in the receiving area of the building.  Firefighters established a hot-zone perimeter and temporarily evacuated approximately 30 people (staff and patrons) from the store.  Police took possession of the device and determined it to be a non-hazardous training prop.  The store was turned back over to management around 5 p.m. to continue normal operations.  There were no injuries reported.  The incident was believed to be a good intent call.  No photos available.  

Equipment at the scene included: 1-Engine and 1-Medic Unit


Back to previous page