INCIDENT DATE: 04/13/13
TIME DISPATCHED: 4:41 A.M.
TIME ARRIVED: 4:43 A.M.
TIME UNDER CONTROL: 4:51 A.M.
“WORKING SMOKE ALARM ALERTS SLEEPING FAMILY TO APARTMENT
Firefighters responded to an occupant report of an apartment
fire at the above location. The caller reported a sofa on fire in the
living room. Crews found smoke and flames showing from a single apartment
unit on arrival. Firefighters quickly deployed two attack lines and
extinguished the fire. The blaze was contained to one apartment unit with
no extension. The fire caused extensive damage to the living room and
sent moderate smoke and heat throughout the rest of the unit. There was
no damage reported to the adjoining apartments. One family, two adults
and two teenage children, were displaced due to the damage. The family
was being assisted by management with relocation to a vacant unit within the
complex. The Red Cross was also contacted to provide assistance with
clothing needs. The fire appears to be accidental and was caused by a
candle left burning unattended in the living room. Candles left burning unattended
is one of the leading causes of residential fire in the U.S. “Candles
should be snuffed out when going to bed or when leaving the home,” said
Gwinnett Fire Captain Tommy Rutledge.
This fire brings light to the importance of a properly working
smoke alarm inside the home. According to the occupants, they were asleep
at the time the fire erupted and were awakened by the sound of the smoke
alarm. The family members were able to escape unharmed and call for
help. Firefighters suggest having a working smoke alarm one every level
of the home and in each of the bedrooms. Smoke alarms provide an early
warning and give occupants added time to escape. Develop a home fire
escape plan and practice fire drill regularly. “The smoke alarm is
credited with saving multiple lives this morning. We could be telling a
very different and tragic story had it not been for the presence of a working
smoke alarm inside the apartment unit,” Rutledge said. For
additional information on fire safety, please contact the Gwinnett Fire
Community Risk Reduction Division at 678.518.4845 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
EQUIPMENT AT THE SCENE INCLUDED:
1-Air & Light Unit