The history of Gwinnett County and the Gwinnett County Sheriff’s Office run hand in hand. The county was created on December 15, 1818, when the Georgia legislators marked out 436 square miles from frontier land which had been ceded to the State of Georgia by the Creek Indians. Gwinnett County was named for Button Gwinnett, one of three Georgians that signed the Declaration of Independence.
Over the past 200 years, there have been 44 persons elected to the office of sheriff. The office has seen tremendous change and continues to reinvent itself to fit the changing needs of the citizens of the county we serve. We have seen the staff grow from one employee, Sheriff William Blake in 1819, to more than 700 employees.
We have seen a one-room jail near the barn of the Elisha Winn home in 1819 to a facility that can hold 2,744 persons. Our office has seen the one female sheriff appointed to her husband’s post after his death in 1949. Our deputies have ridden horses, driven wagons, drove cars, trucks, buses and armored vehicles in the performance of their duties.
The Gwinnett County Sheriff’s Office became one of the first agencies in Georgia to place the Sex Offender Registry on the internet and was the first sheriff’s office in Georgia to become a state certified law enforcement agency.