Transit Review Committee
Gwinnett County Transit Review Committee
What is the Transit Review Committee?
With Gwinnett County expected to continue rapid growth through 2040 and beyond, the need for a robust transit system will only become more critical. The Board of Commissioners passed a resolution on September 3, 2019 creating the Gwinnett County Transit Review Committee, a group of 13 citizens who will help advise the Board on how to proceed in expanding transit in Gwinnett County to meet future demand. The committee is tasked with conducting a thoughtful and thorough review of Gwinnett’s transit needs and the options for addressing those needs. The committee will present a written report with recommendations to the Board of Commissioners by December 31, 2019.
The committee was formed following a transit contract referendum in March 2019 in which voters did not approve a contract with MARTA to operate Gwinnett’s transit system and a 38-year, one-percent sales tax to implement the Connect Gwinnett: Transit Plan. The Connect Gwinnett: Transit Plan detailed significant, short- and long-term expansion of transit in Gwinnett, including using various types of transit, adding more routes, and identifying funding sources.
As part of their review, the Transit Review Committee members may take a fresh look at the Connect Gwinnett: Transit Plan. The committee will analyze current and projected transit needs based on projected population and employment and the feasibility of various types of transit. The committee will also consider options suggested by the public during the referendum process.
The final report should include information that presents the scope of the committee’s work and the basis of its recommendations, such as infrastructure needs, feasibility of proposed approaches, quality of life, and potential economic benefits and impacts.
The Transit Review Committee will hold regular meetings, which are open to the public.
Appointments to the committee were made by each member of the Board of Commissioners and by organizations representing a range of interests and perspectives.
- 5 members representing the Board of Commissioners, with each Commissioner having one appointment
- 1 member representing seniors, to be appointed by the Gwinnett Council for Seniors
- 1 member representing young adults, to be appointed by the Georgia Gwinnett College Student Council
- 1 member representing the paratransit consumer community, to be appointed by the Gwinnett Transit Advisory Board
- 1 member representing the non-profit sector, to be appointed by the Coalition for Health and Human Services
- 1 member representing employers, to be appointed by the Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce
- 1 member representing Gwinnett’s young professionals, to be appointed by the Gwinnett Young Professionals organization
- 1 member representing Gwinnett’s civic organizations, to be appointed by Leadership Gwinnett Alumni
- 1 member representing Gwinnett’s cities, to be appointed by the Gwinnett Municipal Association
To see the list of members, click here.
Gwinnett County Transit Review Committee Meeting Schedule
Materials from the meetings are available to the public. For meeting schedules and locations as well as agendas and minutes, click here.