SUNDAY EVENING STORM ACTIVITY
(Lawrenceville, Ga., June 23, 2019) – The following is a brief synopsis of weather related incidents handled Sunday evening by Fire and Emergency Services personnel. It does not include all calls for the time period.
At approximately 4:00pm, The National Weather Service issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for southeastern portions of Gwinnett County until 4:45pm Sunday evening. The warning was extended for the eastern border of the county until 5:00pm. At approximately 4:10pm, the Lawrenceville and Grayson areas of Gwinnett County began seeing damage from strong wind and lightning. No additional significant incidents or injuries were reported to the Fire-PIO.
- 1200 Block of Lakeridge Court SW in Grayson
- Firefighters responded to a tree on a building and were upgraded to a structure fire when the occupants reported smoke in the structure. Upon arrival, firefighters found a tree fell and hit the power line for the residence. This caused the weather head to pull away from the residence. Inside the home, a surge protector had caught fire and melted a section of carpet. The fire was smoldering and completely extinguished by firefighters. The home was naturally ventilated to remove residual smoke. The rest of the home was checked and no hazards found. The scene was turned over to Walton EMC. No injuries were reported.
- 1300 Block of Willow River Run SW in Grayson
- Firefighters found a tree had fallen and came into contact with high tension power lines that run through the neighborhood. The tree caught fire and was extinguished by firefighters on arrival. No damage was noted to the power lines.
INVESTIGATED LIGHTNING STRIKES:
- 800 Block of Wyckfield Court SW in Lawrenceville
- Firefighters investigated a possible lightning strike at the residence. Crews found no indication of smoke, heat or fire in the structure. One circuit breaker was found tripped in the breaker box.
- 400 Block of Charlyne Way SE in Dacula
- Firefighters investigated a possible lightning strike at the residence. Crews located a faint electrical odor and an electric recliner that was inoperable per the homeowner. The entire house was checked for smoke, heat or fire with no hazards found.
TREES/POWER LINES DOWN:
- Webb Gin House Road SW/Memory Way SW in Lawrenceville
- A tree branch fell across the roadway and brought down a phone or cable line. The scene was turned over to Gwinnett Police.
- Park Place Drive SW/Cherry Wood Drive SW in Lawrenceville
- Firefighters responded to lines down due to a large branch. Crews investigated the area and were unable to locate any downed lines.
- Park Place Drive SW/Grayson Highway SW in Lawrenceville
- Firefighters responded to lines down in the area. Upon investigation, crews were unable to locate any downed lines.
- Fence Road NE/Bailey Woods Road NE in Dacula
- Firefighters found a tree leaning against a power line on Fence Road. The power line was actively arching against the tree branches. Jackson EMC was notified.
- Planters Mill Drive NE/Old Auburn Road NE in Dacula
- Firefighters responded to wires hanging low over the entrance to the subdivision. Crews notified utilities.
- Sugarloaf Parkway SW/Davis Road SW in Lawrenceville
- Firefighters responded to a tree down in the roadway. Crews used a chainsaw to remove the tree from travel lanes.
- 3100 Block of Plantation Run Drive SW in Loganville
- Firefighters responded to a tree limb blocking half the street inside the subdivision. Crews removed several limbs from the roadway.