CELEBRATE OLDER AMERICANS MONTH IN MAY
(Lawrenceville, Ga., May 1, 2019) – Gwinnett County Health and Human Services and Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation are celebrating Older Americans Month in May with several events that reflect the theme “Connect, Create, Contribute.”
This year’s theme encourages older adults to connect with friends and family and with services that support participation in activities that promote learning, health and personal enrichment. Seniors are also urged to share their time, talent and experience to benefit others.
On May 7, the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners will present a proclamation recognizing the positive impact and contributions older adults make to the vitality of communities and individual lives. By staying active and engaged, older Americans can remain healthy, independent and vibrantly connected in Gwinnett.
Special activities and programs will be offered throughout the month at OneStop locations and Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation facilities:
- Norcross Senior Center, 5030 Georgia Belle Court, Norcross:
- Ribbon Cutting – May 8 from noon to 2 p.m.
Ceremony includes lunch with the seniors at the newly renovated center.
- Bethesda Park Senior Center, 225 Bethesda Church Road, Lawrenceville:
For information and to register, call 678.277.0179
- Walk-a-Weigh – May 1 to May 23 from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Cost:
$10 per person
- Cutting up with Cards – May 2 from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. Cost: $4 per person with $2 Supply Fee
- Movin’ & Groovin’ Line Dance – May 10 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Cost: $8 per person in advance; $10 per person at the door
- Connect, Create, Contribute – May 20 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Cost: $2 per person
- George Pierce Park, 55 Buford Highway, Suwanee:
- Community Health Fair – May 11 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Hosted by the Gwinnett Daily Post and Live Healthy Gwinnett. Fair includes fitness demos, health screenings, wellness presentations, blood drive, giveaways and blood drive. Cost: free
- Hawaiian Luau Lunch – May 17 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Prime Timers Pointe. Cost: $12 per person
- Going Once! Going Twice! Penny Auction – May 23 from 10 a.m. to noon. Cost: free
- OneStop Centerville, 3025 Bethany Church Road, Snellville:
For information and to register, call 678.277.0228
- Chair Tai Chi each Friday – from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Cost: $10 per person.
- Osteoporosis Tai Chi each Thursday – from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Cost: $20 per person
- Smart Driver Class – May 8 and May 9 – from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Cost: $20 per person
- OneStop Norcross, 5030 Georgia Belle Court, Norcross:
For information and to register, call 678.225.5400
- Smart Driver Class – May 23 from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Cost: $20 per person
Gwinnett Health and Human Services Director Regina Miller said her staff is proud to support Older Americans Month and to show appreciation and commitment for senior citizens. “Many of the County’s parks and OneStop facilities offer ongoing activities for older Americans,” said Miller. “I hope the seniors who try us out during Older Americans Month decide to become regular participants in our programs.”
For more information about programs offered by Gwinnett County Health and Human Services, visit www.GwinnettHumanServices.com.