Isaac Adair House
15 South Clayton Street, Lawrenceville
Isaac Adair made his mark in the Gwinnett County community during the years of 1824-1844. He arrived from South Carolina in 1824 and settled in Lawrenceville. One of the oldest houses in Gwinnett County, the Isaac Adair House was built circa 1827 near the intersection of what is now Pike Street and Hurricane Shoals Road. It was disassembled and moved to Chandler Road starting in 1984. Gwinnett County agreed to move and preserve the historic structure when it bought the land for the Sugarloaf Parkway extension construction project in 2008.
The home is well constructed and represents a building style found in the southern states from 1780-1820. The architectural style is considered to be both Federal (Adam) and Georgian. Some of the characteristics of this style include a two-story box style that is two rooms deep with doors and windows in strict symmetry, paneled front door with glass, windows, and a side gable roof and small entry porch. Rectangular light and sidelights display a beautiful doorway. The construction of this home used hand-planed boards and mortise and tenon joints.
The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.
For more information visit www.gwinnettehc.org or call 770.904.3500.