Skip to content
Victim Services
  • Status of case
  • Referrals for counseling/support groups
  • Victim compensation information
  • Restitution Information
  • Property Return Assistance
  • Court Escort
  • Parole Notification
  • Employer Intervention
  • Courtroom setting orientation
  • Privacy prior to court appearance

Other Services

  • Victim Impact Statement
  • Compensation Program

The State of Georgia has a program to assist victims of crime with crime related expenses. The program can help compensate victims for financial hardship (lost wages or loss of support), medical, mental health counseling and funeral expenses.

Victims who have been physically injured are eligible for compensation. Victims of violent crimes such as assault/battery, homicide, child abuse, sexual assault, domestic/family violence, and DUI crashes can be eligible.

There are certain requirements that must be met in order to be an eligible applicant. These requirements are statutory, some of which are listed below.

  1. Victim must be an innocent victim of a violent crime (must have a physical injury).
  2. Cannot pay for property loss or property crime.
  3. The crime must be reported to a law enforcement agency within 72 hours of occurrence.
  4. The victim or claimant must cooperate fully with law enforcement officials.
  5. A Criminal History will be run on all victims.
  6. Unless good cause is shown, applications must be submitted within one year of the incident.
  7. Applications received two years after the crime cannot be considered for compensation.
  8. The victim must not be the offender or any accomplice of the offender.
  9. The victim must not have contributed to the offense.

For more information or to receive an application, please contact the Victim Witness Program.

Support Agencies
As the victim of a crime, you may be in need of other information. You may contact the Victim Witness Program or one of the other available agencies such as Partnership Against Domestic Violence and the Department of Family and Children Services.