Fire and Emergency Services FAQs
How can I make a monetary donation?  
Click here for information on how you can make a tax deductible donation to support the fire and life safety and injury prevention initiatives of Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services. Your contribution will be used to enhance the overall fire and life safety programs provided free to the community. Together we can help make Gwinnett County a safer place to live, work, and play for all residents. 

1. Can the public schedule a birthday party at the station?
No. We discourage the public from having parties at the stations (for safety and security reasons) and encourage them to incorporate a tour of the station with their private party at home.

2. Who do I call if my child is playing with fire?
Depending on the seriousness of the situation (curiosity vs. history of starting fires), you can call either the Programs and Services Section at 678.518.4845 or the Investigations Section at 678.518.4890.

3. What is ISO and my fire insurance rating?  
The Insurance Services Offices, Inc. (ISO) rates jurisdictions on factors related to fire coverage that include water supply, dispatch procedures, and fire resources. Our current rating for most of the County is a 4. However, if a structure is more than five road miles from a fire station, the insurance company will rate the property as a 10, meaning no fire protection.

4. How do I get a copy of a fire or medic report?  
For fire reports, call 678.518.4881. Provide address, date and time if known of incident. For medic reports, call 678.518.4881. Provide address, date, and time if known and name of patient(s). All medic reports must have a consent release signed prior to obtaining the report. Usually, reports can be made available within 24 hours after your request.

5. Who do I call if I think a building is a fire hazard?  
Our Fire Prevention Office will answer your questions at 678.518.4980. You need to provide the address of the building and the owner or manager's name, if you have it.

6. Where is the nearest fire station?  
Call 678.518.4800, and we can tell you where the closest fire station is.

7. Where is the nearest fire hydrant?  
You need to drive your neighborhood and determine where your closest hydrant is, since new hydrants are installed through out the year.

8. Can a patient choose the hospital he or she wants to go to?
If it is a non-critical situation, yes. If it is a critical situation, Med Unit personnel may choose to transport to the closest or most appropriate hospital.

9. Why does the fire engine go out on medical calls?
To maximize the efficient use of personnel and resources for quality, effective patient care on all emergency scenes, the department uses a dynamic tiered response system. Depending on the type of medical call and availability of units, our 911 Communications will send the closest available medic unit and/or fire engine to respond. Engine and medic unit personnel are dispatched together for serious, life-threatening emergencies i.e., cardiac arrest, trauma, not breathing, that require more resources for a successful outcome.

10. How much does the County charge for people transported by a Med Unit to the hospital?
The transport fee is a flat rate of $975 plus an additional $15 per mile.

11. Does Gwinnett County allow outdoor burning?  
Yes; from October 1 through April 30. Individuals should call the Fire Marshal's Office 678.518.4980, for Open Burning Information or check our website for day to day burning information at Burning is not allowed on Sundays, after dark, or in the city limits of Lilburn or Sugar Hill.

12. Whom do I call with a non-emergency question?  
General information can be reached at 678.518.4800, Programs and Services at 678.518.4850, and Fire Prevention and Life Safety at 678.518.4980.

13. Does your Department use volunteers?  
All firefighter/EMT and paramedic positions are full-time employees. Volunteers have graduated from the 12-week Citizen Fire Academy program and are utilized for administrative activities and special events.

14. The Gwinnett Professional Firefighters Association, Local 3419 of the International Association of Firefighters, has solicited me for donations. Do these funds directly benefit Gwinnett Fire & Emergency Services?
No. This legitimate organization solicits funds to locally endorse politicians, aid in lobbying efforts to pass collective bargaining laws in Georgia, assist the Union in legal issues, as well as perform firefighter safety research, improve firefighter benefits and improve pension laws on the national level. While it is your decision to help these efforts, Gwinnett Fire and Emergency Services does not directly benefit from your donation and is in no way affiliated with or support the activities of this organization. It should also be noted that any legitimate organization that uses a professional telemarketing service has to pay a very high percentage of the solicitation proceeds to the telemarketing firm.

15. How do I dispose of medical syringes/sharps/hypodermic needles for which I take medication for at home?
Please see Solid Waste and Recovered Materials Division’s Frequently Asked Questions for the proper way of how to dispose of in home medical waste at: