Skip to content
Understanding 911

The following guidelines should be followed when asking for assistance or reporting an incident within Gwinnett County

1. When to dial 9-1-1

The citizens of Gwinnett County should dial 911 to report any incident that requires immediate dispatch of police, fire, or an ambulance.

a. Medical Emergency
b. Fire
c. Motor Vehicle Accidents
d. Suspicious Vehicles or persons
e. To report incidents of auto theft, burglary, rape, arson, assault, robbery, shoplifting, disturbances, theft, domestic violence, fights, missing persons, shootings, stabbing, destruction of property, all crimes in progress or just occurred, etc
f. To report road hazards, drunk drivers or reckless drivers, wires down, tornado’s

If you are unsure your situation is an emergency, call 911

2. When to dial the non-emergency number. 770-513-5700

The citizens of Gwinnett County may call the Non-emergency number 770-513-5700 to report non-urgent incidents that require a police response such as loud music, lost wallets, cell phones, and passports, non-violent animal complaints, etc. The same dispatchers who answer the 911 calls also answer the non-emergency number, so be patient. 911 calls will be answered first then the non-emergency phone.

3. When to directly call the Sheriff, Police, Fire Departments

Residents should contact their local agencies at their regular number for information or administrative calls such as:

a. Sheriff: Contact the Gwinnett County Sheriffs office at 770-619-6500 when requesting information on prisoners, warrants, and the civil process.

b. Police: Contact the Gwinnett County Police at 770-513-5000 when Requesting information of towed vehicles, obtaining copies of reports, traffic ticket information, follow-up on reports or to speak with a specific officer or detective.

c. Fire/EMS: Contact Gwinnett County Fire Department at 678-518-4800 when requesting information on burning permits, inspections and billing questions, and educational presentations. The numbers for individual fire stations cannot be given out.