Gwinnett Youth Commission
Gwinnett Youth Commission
Gwinnett County Youth Commission
Students who participate in this program will:
- Interact with Gwinnett County Government leaders
- Speak on behalf of Gwinnett County youth
- Help local government better understand the issues facing Gwinnett youth
- Serve as youth ambassadors for the county
- Plan community events and participate in volunteer projects
2021 – 2022 Class Disclaimer
Please be aware: Gwinnett County Community Outreach is closely monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic, and GYC 2021 – 2022 dates are subject to change. Any changes will follow the recommendations of the CDC and Gwinnett County Government. We will communicate any updates in a timely manner.
To be considered for the program, youth must:
- Be a resident of Gwinnett County
- Attend a school in Gwinnett County (Gwinnett County Public Schools, Buford City Schools, private, home school, or charter schools)
- Be a sophomore, junior, or senior during the academic year
- Submit a completed application and typed essay questions
This summer program will take place every Wednesday from 9:00am to 4:00pm.
The course schedule is as follows:
Week 1 (June 2): Orientation and Program Overview
Week 2 (June 9): Introduction to County Government
Week 3 (June 16): Infrastructure/STEM
Week 4 (June 23): “Public Safety Day” Police and Fire and Emergency Services
Week 5 (June 30): Criminal Justice Day (Corrections, Detention Center)
Week 6 (July 7): Gwinnett Judicial Circuit
Week 7 (July 14): Health and Human Services, Civic Engagement, and Volunteerism
Week 8 (July 21): Recreation and Wrap-Up
Graduation/Induction Ceremony: Tuesday, July 27 at 1:00pm
After successful completion of the program, youth academy graduates will be invited to participate in special events, field trips, and assist with planning and participating in community volunteer projects throughout Gwinnett County during the academic school year.
The class is limited to 30 participants each cycle. Selections will be made by an independent committee based on eligibility and the typed essay. Students selected for this program will represent a cross-section of Gwinnett County.
Interested candidates must complete an application, to which eligibility will be verified. Due to COVID-19 precautions, the 2021 – 2022 class size will be limited to 15 participants for each cycle.
Please click here to complete the application for the 2021 – 2022 program year. The application deadline is Monday, April 12.
Please note: Candidates will be selected by an independent selection committee; therefore, a submitted application does not guarantee your participation in the Gwinnett Youth Commission. All selected candidates will be notified.