Gwinnett County was created on December 15, 1818, and named for Button Gwinnett, one of the three Georgia signers of the Declaration of Independence. The county was formed from the combination of land that was ceded to the state of Georgia by the Cherokee and Creek Indians and a portion of Jackson County. Gwinnett was the 50th county to be organized in the state. The county currently covers 437 square miles and includes approximately 280,000 acres of land. This makes Gwinnett the 50th largest county in the state in landmass.