Gwinnett Youth Commission
Gwinnett County Youth Commission
Students who participate in this program will:
- Interact with Gwinnett County Government leaders
- Speak on behalf of Gwinnett County youth
- Help local government better understand the issues facing Gwinnett youth
- Serve as youth ambassadors for the county
- Plan community events and participate in volunteer projects
To be considered for the program, youth must:
- Be a resident of Gwinnett County
- Attend a school in Gwinnett County (Gwinnett County Public Schools, Buford City Schools, private, home school, or charter schools)
- Be a sophomore, junior, or senior during the academic year
- Submit a completed application and typed essay questions
This summer program will take place every Wednesday from 9:00am to 4:00pm.
The course schedule is as follows:
Week 1: Orientation and Program Overview
Week 2: Introduction to County Government
Week 3: Infrastructure/STEM
Week 4: “Public Safety Day” Police and Fire and Emergency Services
Week 5: Criminal Justice Day (Corrections, Detention Center)
Week 6: Gwinnett Judicial Circuit
Week 7: Health and Human Services, Civic Engagement, and Volunteerism
Week 8: Recreation and Wrap-Up
Students may not miss more than two sessions each program cycle. The Orientation and Graduation are required sessions.
After successful completion of the program, youth academy graduates will be invited to participate in special events, field trips, and assist with planning and participating in community volunteer projects throughout Gwinnett County during the academic school year.
Interested candidates must complete an application, to which eligibility will be verified. Class size will be limited to 30 participants for each cycle.
Please click here to complete the application for the 2019 – 2020 program year. The application deadline is Friday, March 29 at 5:00pm.
Please note: Candidates will be selected by an independent selection committee; therefore, a submitted application does not guarantee your participation in the Gwinnett Youth Commission. All selected candidates will be notified.