Gwinnett Historic Courthouse
Gwinnett Historic Courthouse
Page Content Portlet
Information & Hours
Address: 185 West Crogan Street Lawrenceville
Info & Rentals: 770.822.5450 or GwinnettHistoricRentals@GwinnettCounty.com
Hours: Monday – Friday, 10:00am – 4:00pm; Saturday, 10:00am – 2:00pm
With a four-story clocktower that overlooks the town square in downtown Lawrenceville, the 1885 Gwinnett Historic Courthouse now serves as a beautiful venue for weddings, meetings, and special events, including the annual tree lighting at Thanksgiving. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the stately brick building served as the center of county business for over a century, and the 2-acre manicured grounds, complete with gazebo and picnic tables, have been a popular spot for socializing since the early 1900s. Open for self-guided walking tours, the courthouse features charming architectural details, from turret balcony to Palladian windows; boasts a dazzling ballroom with vintage chandeliers and 24-foot ceilings; hosts seasonal art exhibits in the Gallery Hall; and houses the Gwinnett Historical Society and Gwinnett Veterans Memorial Museum.
Rentals & Intimate Wedding Package
Unique Venue Characteristics
- Grand jury room
- Superior court ballroom with a hardwood dance floor and sound system
- Pre-function space ideal as a welcome or cocktail area
- Grand staircase with turret access where brides can toss their bouquets
- Catering kitchen for food preparation
- Two meeting rooms
- Gallery hall ideal as a pre-function space
- Overnight storage
- Walk-in cooler
- Two acres
- Lawn area for activities
- Lighted gazebo with electrical outlets and paved dancing area
- Shading with ambient lighting and built-in furnishings
- Banquet – 24
- Seminar – 20
- Theater – 30
Superior court ballroom:
- Banquet – 200
- Crescent – 120
- Standing – 300
- Theater – 220
- U-shaped – 60
Gwinnett Historical Society
The Gwinnett Historical Society preserves and perpetuates Gwinnett County's historic heritage. The organization maintains a library with more than 1,600 historic documents, including county and state records, family histories, mirofilms, society newsletters, military information, and more. For more information, visit the Gwinnett Historical Society.
Gwinnett Veterans Memorial Museum
The Gwinnett Veterans Memorial Museum honors the brave men and women who defended our land and liberties from the Revolutionary War to present. View a collection of wartime artifacts, memorabilia, and uniforms from all military branches and become captivated by veterans' personal stories. For more information, visit the Gwinnett Veterans Memorial Museum.
Gwinnett County was created on December 15, 1818 from Cherokee and Creek Indian lands ceded to the state of Georgia. Elisha Winn, a prominent local citizen, allowed his house to be used for all of the county’s elections and court proceedings. In December of 1819, as the county grew, the Inferior Court of Gwinnett County was given authority to build a temporary courthouse until the center of the county was determined and a more permanent structure could be built. A log cabin courthouse was built on a parcel of land near the intersection of present day Old Norcross Road and West Pike Street for $56. The present site was chosen due to the location of several nearby springs that could provide water for the town. Surveyors laid out the town square, the streets adjoining the square, and surrounding city streets. The lots on the four streets surrounding the courthouse site were then sold to the public who set about creating the town. In 1824, a new brick courthouse was built on the courthouse square at a cost of $4,000.
The courthouse was lost to fire in 1871. At around 11:00pm on Sunday, September 10, Sheriff M.V. Brand heard a noise coming from the square and went to investigate. There he found the courthouse engulfed in flames. Citizens came to battle the flames, but their efforts were in vain and the courthouse burned to the ground. Sheriff Brand ordered that a posse be formed at daybreak in order to track down those responsible for the fire. Only one man showed up the next morning to join. Eventually, three men were arrested. An investigation into the fire revealed that a member of an alleged criminal gang was running a bootlegging operation in Gwinnett County. There was an incriminating letter in the courthouse that was going to be used against him in his upcoming trial. Therefore, members of the group decided to burn the courthouse in an effort to destroy the letter and protect him. Unfortunately for him, the letter survived the fire. Sadly, many early and important records of the Inferior Court did not. Some records were saved thanks to local citizen R.M. Cole who entered the burning building and grabbed what he could. The county gave him a reward of $50 for his bravery.
The present courthouse was built in 1872 and was so poorly constructed that it was torn down in July 1884. In 1885, the present day Romanesque-style courthouse was completed at a cost of $23,083. It was built on the foundations of the original courthouse that burned and you can still see charring and smoke damage on some of the bricks in portions of the basement. In 1908, a four-story belfry was added that removed the original minaret tower. The new belfry was designed to house a four-sided clock and bell. The time is delivered by a Seth Thomas eight-day clock that drives the four-sided clock face in the top floor of the belfry. The hourly time is announced via a massive McShane Bell Foundry bell. When first struck, the bell was said to be heard for 20 miles in the surrounding countryside. This renovation also added a turret-style balcony on the Crogan Street side that allowed bailiffs to announce the names of people called for jury duty and the verdicts of court cases being tried inside.
The newest part of the courthouse, which faces Pike Street, was built in 1935 by prison laborers at a cost of $10,000. It was part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Works Progress Administration. The original offices on the ground floor were subdivided and made into additional offices that housed the Sheriff’s Office, the Tax Commissioner’s Office, and other county officials. In the 1960s, the courtroom upstairs was divided to provide two separate courts, the Judge’s chambers, and a jail that held prisoners awaiting trial.
The courthouse grounds have been a popular spot for socializing and civic events since the early 1900s. Citizens gathered on the courthouse grounds to discuss the current affairs of the day and watch politicians, lawyers, and judges as they came and went. As the population of Gwinnett County grew, the courthouse could no longer handle all of the business that it needed to. Offices and buildings located on the square and in other areas served as “annex” buildings by the county for official business. In 1988, the county decided to consolidate the majority of its operations under one roof and moved from the courthouse downtown into the newly built Gwinnett Justice and Administration Building on Langley Drive.
After the move into the new building, the fate of the old courthouse was in doubt. Some people wanted to sell it, some wanted to tear it down, and others wished to restore it. Recognizing the historical value of the courthouse, the citizens of Gwinnett County voted to approve the 1987 Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) to save and restore the building. Architects and construction workers poured over old photographs and blueprints and talked with citizens and former employees in an effort to restore the building to its former glory. The entire building was gutted from the basement to the top floor of the belfry. After a lengthy three-year renovation, the Gwinnett Historic Courthouse was reopened to the public on July 3, 1992. The courthouse now serves as a venue for weddings, meetings, and special events. The courthouse is also home to the George L. Williams Collection of fine art and antiques, the Gwinnett Historical Society, and the Gwinnett Veterans Memorial Museum.
Courthouse courtyard cemetery: On February 17, 1837, the remains of eight soldiers from Gwinnett County were laid to rest in a single grave on the courthouse square. These soldiers died fighting Creek Indians at the Battle of Shepherd’s Plantation in Stewart County on June 9, 1836. Two more soldiers who were killed during the Mexican War on March 27, 1838 in Goliad, Texas were also interred here. In 1840, a monument made from Longswamp Cherokee Marble was dedicated with their names inscribed on it to memorialize their sacrifice.
The Gwinnett Historic Courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Directions & Parking
- Follow I-85 North
- Take exit GA-316 East toward Lawrenceville/Athens
- Take exit GA-120 East toward Lawrenceville
- Merge onto GA-120 East then West Crogan Street
- Turn left onto North Clayton Street
- Turn left onto West Pike Street
- The Gwinnett Historic Courthouse is on the left
- Follow I-985 South
- Take exit 4 for GA-20/US-23 South toward Buford/Cumming
- Turn left onto GA-20 East/US-23 North/Buford Drive
- Stay right on GA-20 East/Buford Drive
- Turn right onto East Pike Street
- The Gwinnett Historic Courthouse is on the left
- Garage: 153 GA-20/162 East Crogan Street (across the street from the Cotton Lace Market and next to Boulder Creek Coffee)
- Lot: East Pike Street and North Culver Street
- Lawrenceville Lawn: 210 Luckie Street
- Downtown: two-hour street parking
For more information about free parking options, visit the City of Lawrenceville.