Boards, Authorities and Committees
Boards, Auth. and Committees
Family & Children Services Board
The Family and Children Services Board was established in 1937 by Georgia Law. The purpose of the local county Department of Family and Children Services (DFCS) board shall be to support the staff who protect the well-being of this state's children while preserving family integrity. The Local County Advisory Boards may review the administration of all welfare and public assistance functions for the county, including such programs as temporary assistance for needy families (TANF), supplemental nutrition assistance program (SNAP), employment services, child protective services, foster care, and adoptions. County Advisory Boards will assess the county’s effectiveness in providing services to the community.
The Board consists of seven (7) members appointed by the Board of Commissioners. Gwinnett County has allowed one appointment from each commission district and one appointment from the Chairwoman of the Board of Commissioners. In addition to the five required members, the Board of Commissioners may, but is not required to, appoint two additional members.
The Chairman of the Family and Children Services Board is designated by the members. Gwinnett County votes on a subsidy agreement annually.
Generally, meetings are held the fourth Monday of each month at 3:00pm at the Director's Board Room, 4th Floor, 95 Constitution Blvd. in Lawrenceville (exceptions are when office is closed for state holidays – then meetings held the week prior). For more information, visit their website.
All appointments made on or after July 1, 2015 are made from the following categories:
- Pediatric health care providers, active or retired
- Appropriate school personnel, active or retired
- Emergency responders, active or retired
- Law enforcement personnel, active or retired
- Private child welfare service providers, active or retired
- Alumni of the child welfare system
- Mental health care providers, active or retired
- Former foster parents
- Leaders within the faith-based community, active or retired
The role of the county board shall be to protect the well-being of this state's children while preserving family integrity and:
- Serve as an active liaison and a link between the county department and the local community
- Advocate on behalf of the local county office concerning DFCS’ legislative priorities and appropriations, and unmet needs in the community
- Support the overall mission of the Division of Family and Children Services
- Advocate for additional county funding for specific needs beyond state appropriations, and set standards for expenditures of county funds
- Acquire knowledge of Division programs and services offered
- Assess the county department’s provision of services in relation to the needs of the community
- Assist the County Director in building staff morale and motivating employees
- Provide recommendations for improving local county operations via annual report
- Submit Annual Report to the Division Director each year by December 15th
- Assist the Regional Director in the selection process for the County Director should the position become vacant
County boards shall support the overall mission of the Division of Family and Children Services of the department.
For more information, please visit the Georgia Department of Human Services, Division of Family and Children Services website.
|Appointed By||Position||Name||Representing||Term Expires|
|Chairwoman's Appointment||Pat Swan||06/30/2027|
|District 1 Appointment||Ken Reed||06/30/2023|
|District 2 Appointment||Davida Baker||06/30/2026|
|District 3 Appointment||Christopher Rafanelli||06/30/2025|
|District 4 Appointment||Dr. James A. Taylor||06/30/2024|
|BoC Appointment||Dr. Melonie Bell-Hill||06/30/2024|
|BoC Appointment||Traci Moultrie||06/30/2023|