Boards, Authorities and Committees
Boards, Auth. and Committees
Gwinnett County Sustainability Commission
The Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners approved a Resolution creating the Gwinnett County Sustainability Commission on April 20, 2021. Gwinnett County has a long history of actively engaging in and promoting sustainable environmental practices within the County and believes that full engagement in sustainable environmental living is necessary to preserve and protect the environment and natural resources for residents, businesses, visitors, and future generations. Gwinnett has made and will continue to make a substantial difference in increasing environmental sustainability practices within the County.
In furtherance of its dedication to such environmental sustainability, the County has taken many steps, including partnering with the Atlanta Regional Commission by participating in its Green Communities Program.
The Atlanta Regional Commission has recognized this success by awarding the County the following certifications: Bronze status in 2010, Silver status in 2012, Gold status in 2014, and the highest status, Platinum, for 2018. At the time of achieving Platinum status and continuing to today, Gwinnett County was the first and continues to be the only county in the state of Georgia to have achieved Platinum certification in the Atlanta Regional Commission’s Green Communities Program. The Board of Commissioners takes great pride in this commendable achievement and continues to strongly support the initiatives of the Green Communities Program, and further wishes to expand the County’s leadership and participation in such program and other sustainability efforts.
The Board of Commissioners believes that seeking input of the members of the Gwinnett community will be beneficial in helping the County achieve its sustainability goals and that the best way to obtain this input is through the Gwinnett County Sustainability Commission, whose purpose is to provide advice and recommendations on matters related to the County’s sustainability practices and efforts.
The Commission will be made up of five (5) members to be appointed as follows:
- One member appointed by the Commission Chairwoman
- One member appointed by the Commissioner for District 1
- One member appointed by the Commissioner for District 2
- One member appointed by the Commissioner for District 3
- One member appointed by the Commissioner for District 4
- Chairwoman's Appointment: Laura Hernandez, Laura.Hernandez@gwinnettcounty.com
- District 1 Appointment: Daniel Hilton, Daniel.Hilton@gwinnettcounty.com
- District 2 Appointment: Krupesh Patel, Krupesh.Patel@gwinnettcounty.com
- District 3 Appointment: Dr. James Marshall Shepherd, Marshall.Shepherd@gwinnettcounty.com
- District 4 Appointment: Robert Blatecky, Robert.Blatecky@gwinnettcounty.com
Meetings held the third Wednesday of each month at 4:30pm at the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center, 75 Langley Drive in Lawrenceville. For detailed information on meetings, please click the blue button above.
Members shall be Gwinnett County residents and no individual who is an announced candidate for elected office at any level or who has a position, paid or volunteer, with any active political campaign is eligible to serve as a member of the Commission.
The Commission represents a variety of viewpoints, interests, and community segments so that it may collectively represent the interests of Gwinnett County. The Board of Commissioners will appoint individuals who are critical thinkers with the ability and aptitude to objectively review options without being unduly influenced by pre-conceived notions about environmental sustainability.
The Commission, by majority vote, shall elect a chairperson who will be responsible for the overall direction and work progress of the Commission which includes ensuring use of quality assurance/quality control practices and procedures; facilitating the use of advisors; and providing updates to the Board of Commissioners and the County Administrator, as necessary.
Purposes of the Gwinnett County Sustainability Commission (“Commission”) include:
- To review and consider the environmental sustainability needs of Gwinnett County now and in the future based upon existing and projected growth patterns.
- To review and assess environmental sustainability options for Gwinnett County, including those suggested by members of the community.
- To review and assess the feasibility of differing environmental sustainability options in Gwinnett County.
- To review and assess options for reducing Gwinnett County’s environmental impact through its buildings, fleets, and practices.
- Provide public education and outreach on sustainability issues and encourage the community to reduce its environmental impact.
|Appointed By||Position||Name||Representing||Term Expires|
|Chairwoman's Appointment||Chairwoman||Laura Hernandez||05/31/2023|
|District 1 Appointment||Vice Chairman||Daniel Hilton||05/31/2024|
|District 2 Appointment||Krupesh Patel||05/31/2023|
|District 3 Appointment||Dr. James Marshall Shepherd||05/31/2024|
|District 4 Appointment||Robert Blatecky||05/31/2023|