Page Content Portlet
District Attorney’s Office Citizens Academy
The Gwinnett District Attorney’s Citizens Academy is designed to help create a better understanding of the criminal justice system. The academy is a nine-week program that will immerse residents in the judicial process. Sessions will bring the community together with law enforcement, prosecutors, defense attorneys, and judges, as the local criminal justice system is far more complex and diverse than most know. With this academy, we aim to show the role of the District Attorney’s Office and our processes to create a more informed and enlightened community. Residents will be able to watch court during the week to get a better understanding of the justice system.
Sessions will be held every Tuesday in the Grand Jury Room located in the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center from Tuesday, October 3 to Tuesday, December 5, from 6:00pm – 8:30pm.
The academy will meet on the following dates:
- October 3, 2023
- October 10, 2023
- October 17, 2023
- October 24, 2023
- October 31, 2023
- November 7, 2023
- November 14, 2023
- November 28, 2023
- December 5, 2023
- December 14, 2023 - Graduation
Applications for the District Attorney’s Citizens Academy will open on Monday, August 21, and be accepted through Friday, September 15. Candidates must complete an application, after which eligibility will be verified.
For questions about the application process or additional information, please contact Terrell Patrick, Director of Community Outreach and Partnerships, at Terrell.Patrick@GwinnettCounty.com or contact the District Attorney's Office at 770.822.7383.
- Must be 18 years or older and be a resident and/or business owner in Gwinnett, or attend a Gwinnett college or university.
- Have an interest in learning about the criminal justice system.
- Attend all sessions (Maximum of two excused absences with make-up during the next session).
- Participants are required to attend Graduation.
- Participants can't have a criminal record.