Board of Tax Assessors
The Board of Tax Assessors was established in 1913 by Georgia law (Ga. Code 48-5-290). Each County Board of Tax Assessors shall consist of not less than three or more than five members to be appointed by the County Governing Authority. The Board of Tax Assessors consists of five members with four members to be appointed from each of the four respective commission districts and one to be appointed by the Chairman.
- Members serve six-year, non-concurrent terms
- Members are compensated $300 per meeting - $7,200 annual maximum
The Board of Tax Assessors has regularly scheduled meetings on the first and third Wednesday of each month at 9:00am in the Tax Assessors Office on the first floor of the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center, 75 Langley Drive, Lawrenceville, GA 30046.
Each member of the county Board of Tax Assessors must:
- Take an oath of office before the judge or the clerk of the superior court of the county to perform faithfully and impartially the duties imposed upon him by law
- Take the oath required of all public officers as provided in Code Section 45-3-1 (Ga. L. 1913, p.123 4; Code 1933)
- Be 21 years of age (48-5-291(1))
- Become a resident of Gwinnett County within six months after taking the oath of office as a tax assessor (48-5-291(2))
- Have a high school diploma or its equivalent (48-5-291(3))
- Successfully complete 40 hours of specified training either before or within 180 days of appointment (48-5-291(4))
- Obtain and maintain a certificate issued by the Revenue Commissioner (48-5-291(5))
Successfully complete an additional 40-hour course every two years of tenure (48-5-291(6))
- To discover, list, value and maintain county-wide uniformity of property within the confines of Gwinnett County insuring that State laws and regulations are adhered to;
- To oversee the appeal process as provided by State law;
- To compile the annual tax digest for submission to the State Department of Revenue.
- To place taxable values on real and personal property;
- To maintain current tax records and maps;
- To grant or deny exemptions.
|Appointed By||Position||Name||Representing||Term Expires|
|Chairman's Appointment||Johnny Blan||02/15/2022|
|District 1 Appointment||Burt Manning||05/04/2024|
|District 2 Appointment||Sue Seibenhener||05/16/2021|
|District 3 Appointment||Norman B. Ellis||04/19/2022|
|District 4 Appointment||Chairperson||Norman Nash||09/24/2023|