A deputy sheriff's primary duty is to oversee individuals who have been arrested and awaiting trial. The Gwinnett County Jail is a direct supervision pretrial facility. Sheriff’s deputies may serve in any of the five divisions after promotion to senior deputy sheriff or higher.
Deputy Sheriff / Jailer Salary: $36,101.00, with possible incentives up to
$37,184.03 (with an Associate's degree)
$38,267.06 (with a Bachelor's degree)
Gwinnett County deputy sheriffs are eligible for promotion to:
Deputy Sheriff, Senior $42,784.00 (after successful completion of job requirements, i.e. POST, physical fitness)
Deputy Sheriff, Master $47,165.00 (after successful completion of job requirements, i.e. FTO training)
Applicants must pass a comprehensive background process (including criminal, controlled substance, credit, driving, and employment history checks) and an oral interview in the first phase. The second phase includes a drug screen, polygraph, and psychological exam.
This position is eligible for compensation under the employee referral program.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D
- Valid Georgia Driver's License
- Must be at least 20 years of age at time of application
- Must be a US citizen for certification
- Must be able to work any shift, weekends, and holidays
- Must obtain a state certificate from jailer's school within six months from date of hire
- Law enforcement, military, or security experience highly preferred
This is a safety-sensitive position that will require a pre-employment drug test and subsequent random drug and alcohol testing in accordance with Gwinnett County Drug and Alcohol-Free Workplace.
Deputy Sheriff / Jailer: $36,101.00
$37,184.03 (with an Associate’s degree)
$38,267.06 (with a Bachelor’s degree)
Deputy Sheriff, Senior $42,784.00
Deputy Sheriff, Master $47,165.00
Gwinnett County has a 12-step pay system with 4 percent annual raises.
Associate’s degree – 3 percent increase to base salary
Bachelor’s degree – 6 percent increase to base salary
Tuition reimbursement is available after 2 years of service for associate, bachelor, and master degrees.
In-State and Out-of-State Lateral Transfers
Lateral Transfers - Applicants currently or formerly employed by a full-service law enforcement agency in Georgia must be in good standing with GA Post. Approved lateral transfers are hired at the rank of Deputy Sheriff Senior. The starting salary range is $42,784 - $65,864.
In-State Lateral Transfer - In-state lateral transfers may qualify for an abbreviated training approved by GA POST.
Out-of-State Lateral Transfer – Out-of-state lateral transfers may qualify for an abbreviated training approved by GA POST.
Deputies are issued all equipment gear.
Defined Contribution Retirement Plan 401(a) - Employees choose 2.5 percent, 5.0 percent or 7.5 percent contribution. The County contributes 7 percent. Employees are fully vested at 5 years.
Click here for more information.
- Free Employee Meals
- Health, dental, vision, prescription drug insurance plans
- 12 paid holidays per year
- 13 days leave accrued per year at hire (ascending thereafter)
- 13 days sick leave accrued per year at hire (ascending thereafter)
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and dependent Care
- HSA/HRA available
- Basic, optional and dependent life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- On-site medical wellness center
- Wellness incentive programs
- Financial Education and Training Programs
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Tuition Reimbursement after 2 years
- Longevity pay after 3 years