Page Content Portlet
A Deputy Sheriff's primary duty is to oversee individuals who have been arrested and awaiting trial. The Gwinnett County Jail is a direct supervision pretrial facility. Sheriff’s deputies may serve in any of the five divisions after promotion to senior deputy sheriff or higher.
Applicants must pass a comprehensive background process (including criminal, controlled substance, credit, driving, and employment history checks) and an oral interview in the first phase. The second phase includes a drug screen, polygraph, and psychological exam.
This position is eligible for compensation under the employee referral program.
- High school diploma or G.E.D
- United States citizenship
- Valid driver's license
- Minimum age of 20 for sworn positions
- Pass drug screen, polygraphy, and psychological evaluation
This is a safety-sensitive position that will require a pre-employment drug test and subsequent random drug and alcohol testing in accordance with Gwinnett County Drug and Alcohol-Free Workplace.
- Administrative Support Associate II: $34,874
- Building Services Associate II: $32,067
- Cook: $31,256
- Deputy Sheriff Jailer: $44,602 – $68,664 with $3,200 hiring bonus
- Deputy Sheriff Senior: $50,827 – $78,246 with $4,200 hiring bonus
- Sheriff Processing Associate I: $33,990
- Trades Technician II: $39,106
- Salaries adjusted based on experience
- Training and experience is considered
- Education incentives added to base salary
- Gwinnett County has a 12-step pay system with four percent annual raises
Benefits and Incentives
- Uniforms/equipment provided
- Medical/dental/vision benefits
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Retirement plans
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee meals provided
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Incentive Program
- 12 paid holidays
- 13 paid vacation days
- 13 paid sick leave days
- Paid training
- Uniform allowance for specialty units
- 6 percent pay increase when assigned to a specialty unit
- 3 to 6 percent educational Incentive for associate and bachelor’s degrees
- Boot allowance
- Take-home patrol car
- Paid military leave for active service personnel
- On-site locker rooms with showers
- 24-hour gym and track available to employees
For more information on becoming a deputy or to speak with a recruiter, call 770.822.3128.
In-State and Out-of-State Lateral Transfers
Lateral Transfers – Applicants currently or formerly employed by a full-service law enforcement agency in Georgia must be in good standing with GA Post. Approved lateral transfers are hired at the rank of Deputy Sheriff Senior. The starting salary range is $46,207 to $71,333.
In-State Lateral Transfer – In-state lateral transfers may qualify for an abbreviated training approved by GA POST.
Out-of-State Lateral Transfer – Out-of-state lateral transfers may qualify for an abbreviated training approved by GA POST.
- $24.43 hourly
- Must be able to work any shift, including weekends and holidays
- Must be PBLE certified and in good standing with GA POST
- PBLE Certification
- In good standing with GA POST
- Minimum one year of law enforcement experience
- NOT actively working in any law enforcement capacity
- Be willing to complete active reserve yearly hours
For more information on becoming a reserve deputy, contact GCSOReserves@gwinnettcounty.com.