- Don't hang up when you call 911 in an emergency. If you get a recording stay on the line until the dispatcher answers. Hanging up will only delay the answering of your call further.
- Don't call 911 to ask when the power will be restored during outages or to report power outages.
- Don't call 911 to ask for weather reports.
- Don't call 911 for school reports such as closings.
- Don't call 911 to ask about scheduled events in Gwinnett County such as fireworks or the times of Halloween.
- Don't hang up if you dial 911 accidentally. Dispatchers have to call the numbers back and if no contact is made a police officer will be dispatched to your address to ensure your safety.
- Don't play with 911 or make false calls. It is a violation of the law to do so.
- Don't call 911 to request directory assistance. 411 is the correct number.
- Don't call 911 to arrange for ambulance transportation to a medical appointment.
- Don't call 911 to discuss legal problems, legal issues or questions on laws.
- Don't call 911 to ask for directions.