Page Content Portlet
Military veterans have already demonstrated their value, selflessness and dedication by serving their country. We value the leadership, teamwork, and discipline characteristics that veterans possess. That is why we seek veterans to join our police force. In fact, many of our officers are veterans. Although our hiring process does not use a preferential grading/point system, we do know some of the unique challenges of applying while still in the military. Thus, monthly we conduct hiring events (at our Training facility in Lawrenceville or outside the state of Georgia) where the first phase of our hiring process can be completed in one day, oftentimes in less than 3 hours. Our enhanced process means out-of-state applicants may not need to return to Georgia after the initial Phase I interaction.
Other benefits for active military and veterans:
- Additional time for applicants to complete the background booklet
- Military pay differentials during military leave
- 144 hours of military leave per year
- Time served while on military leave shall be considered continuous employment with the Gwinnett County Government
- We are a “covered educational institution” and will coordinate with the Veteran’s Affairs office to offer the GI Bill benefits to qualified veteran officers