Firefighters responded at 6:38pm to an occupant report of a house fire in the 5100 block of Williams Road, NW in unincorporated Norcross. The caller to 911 reported flames showing.

Crews arrived to find a working fire in a single-story, wood-frame house on a basement. The structure was determined to be a duplex and crews were assigned to conduct a primary search and check for fire conditions in both units. The fire was contained to one unit and was quickly extinguished by the first-due companies. The fire appears accidental and started in a bedroom. Flames extended to the hallway and part of the living room. There was smoke and heat throughout the unit of origin. The adjoining duplex unit sustained only slight smoke inside but no fire damage. Occupants were home at the time and escaped unharmed. Red Cross assistance was not requested.

This fire serves as a reminder to install working smoke alarms on every level of the home and in each of the bedrooms. Develop a home fire escape plan and practice fire drills regularly. Keep a portable (ABC) fire extinguisher close at hand to douse a small fire. Look for and eliminate home hazards that could cause a fire to start or grow in intensity.

For additional information on home fire safety, please contact the Community Risk Reduction Division at 678.518.4845 or email

EQUIPMENT AT THE SCENE INCLUDED: 3-Engines, 1-Ladder Truck, 1-Squad, 1-Air & Light Unit, 2-Medic Units, 2-Battalion Chiefs and 1-Fire Investigator.

Back to previous page