LIGHTNING TO BLAME FOR HOUSE FIRE IN GRAYSON

(Grayson, Ga., August 5, 2019) – Firefighters say that lightning is to blame for a fire that damaged the chimney of a two-story house on the 700 block of Windsor Place Circle, SW in Grayson. The homeowners called 911 around 6:30pm on Monday, August 5, 2019, after hearing a loud boom and feeling the house shake. They went to investigate and discovered smoke filling the attic and venting from the top of the chimney.

Firefighters arrived to find a fire burning in the chimney chase on the side of the house. Crews quickly confirmed that both occupants, a husband and wife, were outside safe and no injuries were reported.

Firefighters deployed fire attack hose lines and immediately entered the home to extinguish the flames and conduct a primary search. The quick actions of the firefighters stopped the spread of flames and contained the bulk of the damage to the chimney and exterior wall.

According to firefighters, the blaze was caused by lightning that hit the chimney stack as a strong thunderstorm moved through the area Monday evening.

Firefighters are urging residents to stay weather aware. If you suspect a lightning strike to your home, check the attic and basement first. If both are clear, check the electrical outlets in the main living area. Be prepared to exit the home quickly if you see smoke or flames and call 911 from outside the burning building.

Equipment at the scene included: 3-Engines, 1-Ladder Truck, 1-Squad, 1- Medic Unit, 1- Air and Light Unit and 2-Battalion Chiefs.

Back to previous page