DOG DIES IN AFTERNOON HOUSE FIRE ON DOWRY DRIVE

(Lawrenceville, Ga., July 5, 2020) – Firefighters responded at 5:02pm to an occupant report of a house fire on the 3000 block of Dowry Drive, NW in unincorporated Lawrenceville. The caller to 911 advised that the dog was still inside. The fire was brought under control at 5:18pm.

Crews arrived to find smoke showing from a one-story, wood-frame house on a slab. Firefighters encountered heavy smoke conditions on the interior and an active fire in the kitchen area. Crews quickly extinguished the fire with a 1¾-inch handline using tank water from the first-due engine company. The blaze caused heavy damage to the kitchen and sent smoke and heat throughout the rest of the house.

The fire appears accidental and originated from a possible electrical issue in the wall between the kitchen and the garage. The occupants, husband and wife, told firefighters that they had recently reset a tripped breaker in the panel box. A Fire Investigator was notified via cellphone by the Incident Commander. The couple was out running errands and returned home to find dark smoke coming from the garage. The man broke a window glass as he gained entry inside to get the dog out. He was evaluated and released at the scene by paramedics. The dog did not survive.

The displaced occupants were renting the home and the American Red Cross was requested to provide temporary assistance.  

EQUIPMENT AT THE SCENE INCLUDED: 4-Engines, 1-Ladder Truck, 1-Squad, 1-Air & Light Unit, 1-Medic Unit and 2-Battalion Chiefs.

### 

Back to previous page