(Duluth, Ga., Dec. 14, 2020) – A blaze Monday ravaged a ranch-style home on the 2700 block of Norwood Way, NW in Duluth. Firefighters were called to the scene at 4:34 p.m. by an occupant who advised 911 that the couch was on fire.

Crews arrived to find heavy fire involvement on the interior of the home and in the attached garage. Firefighters quickly deployed fire attack and water supply hose lines and entered the structure to combat the blaze and conduct a primary search. There was no one found inside the house and no injuries were reported. The blaze was brought under control by 5:00 p.m.

Fire Investigators were requested to respond to the scene to conduct an origin and cause determination. According to investigators, the fire appears to have started in the living room and was possibly caused by smoking materials. The occupant was reportedly sitting in the room and saw the couch on fire. The woman escaped unharmed and was outside when fire trucks arrived.

The American Red Cross was contacted to provide temporary assistance for one adult female who was displaced by the damage. This fire is a good reminder to practice fire safety every day. Install working smoke alarms on each level of the home and eliminate hazards that could cause a fire to start or grow in intensity.


Back to previous page