GRILL FIRE DAMAGES PEACHTREE CORNERS APARTMENTS

INCIDENT DATE: 08/09/2020

TIME DISPATCHED: 6:06PM

TIME ARRIVED: 6:13PM

TIME UNDER CONTROL: 6:33PM

(Peachtree Corners, Ga., August 9, 2020) – Firefighters responded at 6:06pm to report of an apartment fire at the Corners at 1700 Apartments located at 1700 Hunters Ridge Lane NW in Peachtree Corners. The 911 caller advised Building 800 was on fire with smoke and flames visible. Additional information advised people were evacuating.

Crews arrived on scene and found smoke and flames showing from a second floor balcony on a two-story apartment building. With heavy fire involvement on the balcony, crews initiated a defensive fire attack to knock down the bulk of the flames. The master stream nozzle from atop the fire engine and the aerial ladder were set up quickly while additional crews completed a walk-around and initiated evacuations. With the exterior fire attack effective, crews deployed multiple fire attack hand lines to transition to an interior fire attack and complete primary and secondary searches of the affected apartments. Multiple ground ladders surrounded the structure as a means of egress for firefighters or victims if located. No victims were found during the searches and everyone had safely evacuated without injury. The fire was confined to the second floor and attic on the right side of the 16-unit building. Four second floor apartments sustained heavy fire damage with four additional first floor apartments on the right side of the building sustaining heavy water damage. Although utilities were initially secured to the entire structure, the eight units on the left side remained in good condition and utilities were restored. No injuries were reported.

After speaking with occupants of the primary fire apartment, it was determined that the fire originated from a grill that was in use on the balcony. A fire investigator was notified via phone of the incident. Eight people in seven units were displaced due to the damage. One damaged unit on the right side was vacant per property management. Four occupants from three units requested assistance from the American Red Cross.

Firefighters would like to remind all residents about the importance of grilling safely. Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors and kept well away from the home, deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging vegetation. Keep children and pets at least three feet away from all grills. Half of all injuries involving grills are thermal burns. Never leave a grill unattended, even for a few seconds. Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the racks and catch pans.

EQUIPMENT AT THE SCENE INCLUDED: 5-Engines, 2-Ladder Trucks, 1-Squad, 1-Air & Light Unit, 1-Rehab Unit, 1-Medic Unit, 1-Medical Supervisor, 2-Battalion Chiefs, 1-District Commander and 1-PIO.

###

Back to previous page