View Press Release Portlet
IMPROPERLY DISCARDED FIREWORKS TO BLAME FOR TWO HOUSE FIRES OVERNIGHT IN GWINNETT
(Lawrenceville, Ga., July 5, 2022) – Smoldering debris from discarded fireworks caused two house fires overnight in Gwinnett County. In both cases, the debris was thought to be extinguished and was placed close to the exterior siding of the house to be discarded later.
The first was a home to which firefighters responded at 12:40 a.m. to a neighbor’s report of a house fire on the 1300 block of Shirley Drive in Buford. The caller to 9-1-1 advised that the side of the house was on fire and that everyone had evacuated.
Upon arrival, firefighters found a working fire in a single-story residence. A walk-around was performed as crews deployed two fire attack hose lines. Primary and secondary searches were completed to confirm that everyone was out. Fire damage spread into the garage and adjacent attic space. A rapid intervention team was in place and rehab established for the safety of crews operating on scene.
The family reported that they had been shooting fireworks and when it started raining all trash from the fireworks was thrown into a plastic trashcan and placed near the house. Some of the debris was not fully extinguished allowing the fire to develop and spread up the exterior of the home. Smoke alarms were present and activated appropriately though the family was alerted by the neighbor to exit the home prior to the alarms activating. The family declined Red Cross assistance and will stay with family while repairs are made to the home.
EQUIPMENT AT THE SCENE INCLUDED: 3-Engines, 2-Ladder Trucks, 1-Squad, 1-Medic Unit, 1-Chief Officer, and 1-Air and Light Unit.
At 12:52 a.m., firefighters responded to a homeowner’s report of a house fire on the 3000 block of Meadow Point Drive in Snellville. The caller to 9-1-1 advised that the side of the house was on fire and the side of the house next door was also starting to burn. The house was reported to be evacuated.
Firefighters arrived on scene to a working fire. Crews worked quickly to get a walk-around to look for hazards and knockdown the exterior portion of the fire to both the house of origin and the exposure. As additional crews arrived, a total of two fire attack hose lines were deployed. The fire in the house of origin had spread into the attic and firefighters had to work quickly to prevent the fire from involving the whole attic. Primary and secondary searches were completed and confirmed that everyone was out of the house. A rapid intervention team was in place and rehab established for the safety of crews operating on scene.
The fire was determined to have started on the exterior of the home due to debris from discarded fireworks. The occupants were alerted by smoke alarms to safely exit the house. There were no injuries reported but the family of two adults and six children will require assistance from the Red Cross. The family in the exposure was able to stay in their home.
EQUIPMENT AT THE SCENE INCLUDED: 3-Engines, 1-Ladder Truck, 1-Squad, 1-Rescue, 1-Medic Unit, 2-Chief Officers, and 1-Air and Light Unit.
Firefighters would like to emphasize the importance of soaking discharged fireworks in water prior to discarding them in the trash. Follow all safety recommendations from the manufacturer or simply leave fireworks to the professionals. Learn more safety information at GwinnettSafety411.com.