Skip to content
Holiday Garbage & Recycling Collection Schedule
Trash and recycling collections are scheduled as normal during the County’s Christmas holiday closings. In addition, hauler call centers will be open. Residents can visit to find their hauler’s contact information. Residents who live within city limits should contact their trash and recycling provider to find out if collection will be delayed due to the holiday.
Gwinnett County e-mail newsletters
To receive information on what’s going on in Gwinnett County, sign up for our e-mail newsletters. e-mail newsletter

Important Information for Builders of Residential Property
Effective January 1, 2013, Gwinnett County requires that a Residential Service Fee be paid to the County for collection, transportation, and disposal or processing of residential municipal solid waste, residential recovered materials, bulky waste, and/or white goods. Your Certificate of Occupancy (CO) will be issued after the Residential Service Fee has been paid. See instructions outlined below.

  • When the permit is issued, your CO will be placed in a hold status until the Residential Service Fee has been paid.
  • Gwinnett County Solid Waste and Recovered Materials Division will begin collecting the Solid Waste Residential Fees for 2015 beginning June 11, 2014.
  • Your CO will be issued after the Residential Service Fee for the remainder of 2014 and all of 2015 has been paid.
  • When you are ready to obtain your CO, please visit the Solid Waste and Recovered Materials Division at 446 West Crogan Street, Suite 100 in Lawrenceville to pay by check, cash, or credit card. You may also call our office at 770.822.7141 to pay by credit card.
  • Once paid in full, the Solid Waste and Recovered Materials Division will lift the hold on issuance of the CO.

About the Solid Waste & Recovered Materials Division
Solid Waste and Recovered Materials Division's base services include collection, transfer, disposal, and recycling.  The waste management services provided by the waste haulers are specified in the County Ordinance and written agreements with the County.

Recycle books at Gwinnett County Public Libraries
You can recycle books at your Gwinnett County Public Library! Collection bins are located at each of the 15 locations and books collected at the bins will be sold, donated, or recycled. A portion of the sales will benefit the library. For branch locations, visit or call 770.978.5154
Recycle your old toilets for free!
Gwinnett County residents have a free option for recycling old toilets.

As part of their Toilet Rebate Program, the Gwinnett County Department of Water Resources is offering toilet recycling to homeowners and renters. Bring your old and broken porcelain toilets to the Department of Water Resources Central Facility located at 684 Winder Highway in Lawrenceville for recycling. You must remove the toilet seat and any plastic parts, including handles.

Access is only available from the Hosea Road entrance. There will be signs directing you to the collection bin. The facility will accept toilets for recycling at any time.

Map to the Hosea Road Entrance

For more information on the Toilet Rebate Program, please visit or call the Department of Water Resources customer service line at 678.376.6800.

Are you seeing trucks in multiples?
On collection day, you may be seeing multiple trucks in your neighborhood. The haulers in Gwinnett have dedicated trucks for the many services they provide: recycling and trash as well as for special requests for yard waste, bulky items pickup, and backdoor service. In order to ensure proper disposal and reduce contamination of the environment, household trash and yard waste are emptied at designated landfills. Recyclables are collected separately and delivered to the recycling center where they are processed for reuse. Individual trucks are used for each of these services to ensure proper separation and disposal of materials thus making Gwinnett a greener community to live, work, and play. So don’t worry when you see multiple trucks in your neighborhood on collection day – your vision is just fine!

What is backdoor service?
Backdoor service is a convenience provided to households of elderly or disabled persons who are physically unable to deliver their carts to the curb. For those that qualify, their trash and recycling will be retrieved at the door of their home. You may contact your hauler for further information if you or someone you know would benefit from backdoor service.

Recycling your old trash cart
If you are still hanging on to your 95-gallon trash cart from your previous hauler, you can put it to use!  Hopefully, you have found that you are able to recycle so many additional items that it can be hard to fit everything into the recycling bin provided by your hauler; that's no problem and no extra charge. You can use additional bins, including your old 95-gallon trash cart, for recycling. Just make sure your bins are clearly marked "recyclables." Please note that your hauler can charge you for trash that exceeds your 95-gallon trash bin, but feel free to recycle as much as possible!
Oversized recyclables
If you have recyclables that are too large to fit in your recycling bins such as collapsed boxes, etc., just make sure they are clearly marked "recycling" as well. If they are not, haulers will assume they’re trash and will not be able to take them without a bulky items pickup request.