GWINNETT PUBLIC LIBRARY JOINS COUNTY SUMMER MEALS PROGRAM FOR KIDS
(Lawrenceville, Ga., May 22, 2020) – Gwinnett County and Gwinnett County Public Library are collaborating to provide summer meals at two library branches for youngsters needing food as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“We appreciate the library system partnering with us to help children in need during this difficult time,” said Gwinnett Board of Commissioners Chairman Charlotte Nash. “The library system’s participation allows us to reach more families and hopefully ease their burden a little bit.”
With the library branches, Gwinnett now has 20 locations countywide where children 18 years old and younger can pick up free grab-and-go breakfasts and lunches. Parents can pick up nutritious meals for their children at the locations to take home or the children can pick up their own meals. The meals, which consist of things like sandwiches and wraps, meet USDA guidelines.
“Libraries are more than just places for books now,” said Charles Pace, executive director for the Gwinnett County Public Library. “With educational programs, job training seminars, lectures and now summer feeding programs that we offer, Gwinnett County Public Library strives to be an essential partner with the people we serve.”
Locations were selected based on school clusters with 50 percent free-and-reduced-lunch student populations. Participating library branches are the Lawrenceville Branch and Snellville Branch of the Gwinnett Public Library starting Wednesday, May 27.
The County program, part of the Summer Food Service Program offered through the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is being sponsored by the nonprofit Georgia Nutritional Services Inc., which will provide the vendor for the meals. Funding for the program comes from the USDA.
Registration is not required. Meals can be picked up between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. while supplies last at:
- Pinckneyville Park, 4650 Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, Berkeley Lake
- Shorty Howell Park, 2750 Pleasant Hill Road, Duluth
- Lawrenceville Branch Library, 1001 Lawrenceville Highway, Lawrenceville
- Club Drive Park, 3330 Club Drive, Lawrenceville
- Freeman’s Mill Park, 1401 Alcovy Road, Lawrenceville
- Lawrenceville Female Seminary, 455 South Perry Street, Lawrenceville
- Rhodes Jordan Park, 100 East Crogan Street, Lawrenceville
- Sweet Water Park, 800 Bethesda School Road, Lawrenceville
- Bryson Park, 5075 Lawrenceville Highway, Lilburn
- Lilburn Activity Building, 788 Hillcrest Road, Lilburn
- Vines Park, 3500 Oak Grove Road, Loganville
- Best Friend Park, 6224 Jimmy Carter Boulevard, Norcross
- Cemetery Field, 211 Cemetery Street, Norcross
- Graves Park, 1540 Graves Road, Norcross
- Lucky Shoals Park, 4651 Britt Road, Norcross
- Snellville Branch Library, 2740 Lenora Church Road, Snellville
- Lenora Park, 4515 Lenora Church Road, Snellville
- OneStop Centerville, 3025 Bethany Church Road, Snellville
- DeShong Park, 2859 North DeShong Road, Stone Mountain
- Yellow River Park, 3232 Juhan Road, Stone Mountain
The County’s Summer Meals program complements a summertime meals program for students offered by Gwinnett County Public Schools. Meals are also available for adults with disabilities. The school district will ramp up its Seamless Summer feeding program for children June 8 through June 26, and will provide school locations once they are finalized.
For more information, visit www.GwinnettSummerMeals.com or call 770-822-8840.