Motor Vehicle Appeals
Motor Vehicle Appeals
Page Content Portlet
Motor Vehicle Ad Valorem Tax
The Georgia Department of Revenue produces an estimate of value, which is required for use in determining the amount of ad valorem or “title tax” you owe. The Title Ad Valorem tax rate and how the value is determined is regulated by the Georgia Department of Revenue. More information about the current tax rate and regulations can be found on the Georgia Department of Revenue website.
If you disagree with the value, you may appeal the value to the Board of Assessors. For the appeal to begin processing, your appeal needs to be in writing and must be received by the Board of Assessors no later than 45 days from the date that you were notified of the State Department of Revenue’s value that is used for ad valorem taxes. This date will be the earlier of either when you purchase the vehicle from a dealer that collects the tax, or the date you attempt to register the vehicle. State regulations require that the ad valorem tax is paid before appealing the value with the Board of Assessors.
How To Appeal:
After paying the ad valorem tax:
- Please use the state’s PT311A-MV appeal form to start the process.
- Submit copies of the registration documents and photos of the vehicle, along with the completed appeal form.
- Photos need to include all four sides, inside, damage (if any), and odometer reading.
- If this vehicle was recently purchased, please include the purchase price on the appeal form or provide a copy of the bill of sale.
- Mail/email the completed form with photos and other information to Gwinnett County Tax Assessor, attn: Motor Vehicle Appeals, 75 Langley Drive, Lawrenceville, GA 30046; email@example.com
You may also deliver the appeal in-person to the Assessor’s Office. You can schedule a visit to our location for a physical inspection. For more information, please call 770.822.7220.
For more information, please visit our Motor Vehicle Frequently Asked Questions page or https://dor.georgia.gov/title-ad-valorem-tax-tavt-faq for information about the state’s ad valorem tax.
Vehicle Taxes–Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT) and Annual Ad Valorem Tax | Georgia Department of Revenue