Kitchen BMPs for FOG
Commercial Kitchen FOG Best Management Practices
All food service enterprises should implement proactive fats, oils, and grease mitigation procedures to reduce the likelihood of damage to the public collection system. FOG damages the sewer system by clogging sewer pipes, pump stations, and treatment plants. This leads to expensive maintenance costs and sewer overflows. FOG can also damage plumbing, causing blockages and backups in the kitchen. By putting into place a few simple preventative procedures, you can reduce this damage. In addition, best management practices—also known as BMPs—may also extend the interval between cleanings of the grease trap(s) by reducing the amount of FOG being released.
FOG mitigation procedures
- Install drain screens
- Prior to washing cooking equipment, pour liquid FOG waste into a container and throw the container away when full
- Scrape and dry wipe cooking equipment to remove solid waste before washing
- Use recycling bins to collect waste grease from fryers
- Empty grill scrap baskets or boxes into a container
- Install approved low flow faucet fixtures
- Post procedures over sinks to remind employees of FOG mitigation policies
Remember, floor drains and mop sinks drain through the grease trap, so spill prevention is important. Be sure to do what you can to limit splattering or spills and wipe up large spills with towels before mopping the floor.
Establish spill prevention and clean-up procedures
- Develop and post spill procedures
- Train employees to implement procedures
- Designate key employees to monitor clean-ups
Never pour used fryer oil down the drain. Always pour this oil into a recycle container. There are many companies that take this waste.
By initiating a few good BMPs, we can greatly reduce the FOG problems within the public sanitation system. More information about FOG management can be found at www.unclogthefog.com. You can also contact the Gwinnett County Grease Management Program at 678.376.6713. The Gwinnett County Department of Water Resources looks forward to working with your new business in the future and wishes you success.