Gwinnett County Water & Sewerage Authority
The Water and Sewerage Authority was established in 1970 by local legislation. The Authority consists of five members who shall be residents of Gwinnett County and shall be appointed by the Board of Commissioners. Traditionally, the Authority consists of five members with four members to be appointed from each of the four respective commission districts and one to be appointed by the Chairman.
- The Authority will elect a chairman and vice-chairman from its members and it shall also elect a secretary-treasurer who does not necessarily have to be a member of the Authority and if not a member he or she shall have no voting rights.
- Members serve a one-year term
- Advertisement in the legal organ for at least once a week for the three weeks immediately preceding the week in which expires the term of office of any member the name of the member whose term will expire and the date such term expires. Such advertisement shall also give notice that interested persons may apply to the Board of Commissioners to request consideration be given to them for appointment. Water Resources will notify members after their appointment by the Board.
- Members are not compensated.
The Water and Sewerage Authority meets the third Monday of each month at 4:00pm in the training room of Water Resources, Central Facility, 684 Winder Highway, Lawrenceville, GA 30045.
No specific qualifications or training are required.
- To have a seal and alter the same at pleasure;
- To acquire by purchase, lease or otherwise, and to hold, lease and dispose of real and personal property of every kind and character for its corporate purposes;
- To acquire in its own name by purchase, on such terms and conditions and in such manner as it may deem proper, or by condemnation in accordance with the provisions of any and all laws applicable to the condemnation of property for public use, real property, or rights or easements therein, or franchises necessary or convenient for its corporate purposes and to use the same so long as its corporate existence shall continue and to lease or make contracts with respect to the use of or dispose of same in any manner it deems to the best advantage of the Authority, the Authority being under no obligation to accept and pay for any property condemned under this Act except from the funds provided under the authority of this Act, and in any proceedings to condemn such order may be made by the court having jurisdiction of the suit, action or proceedings as may be just to the Authority and to the owners of the property to be condemned, and no property shall be acquired under the provisions of this Act upon which any lien or other encumbrance exists, unless at the time such property is so acquired a sufficient sum of money to be deposited in trust to pay and redeem the fair value of such lien or encumbrance; and if the Authority shall deem it expedient to construct any project on any other lands the title to which shall them be in the State of Georgia, the Governor is hereby authorized to convey, for and in behalf of the State title to such lands to the Authority upon payment to the State Treasurer for the credit of the general fund of the State of the reasonable value of such lands in accordance with the applicable laws of the State of Georgia;
- To appoint, select and employ, officers, agents and employees, including engineering, architectural and construction experts, fiscal agents and attorneys, and fix their respective compensations;
- To make contracts, leases and to execute all instruments necessary or convenient, including contracts for construction of projects and leases of projects or contracts with respect to the use of projects which it causes to be constructed or acquired, and any and all persons, firms and corporations and the State and any and all political subdivisions, departments, institutions or agencies of the State are hereby authorized to enter into contracts, leases or agreements with the Authority upon such terms and for such purposes as them deem advisable; and without limiting the generality of the above, authority is specifically granted to municipal corporations, counties and other political subdivisions and to the Authority to enter into contracts, lease agreements, or other undertakings relative to the furnishing of services and facilities by the Authority to such municipal corporations, counties and political subdivisions for a term not exceeding fifty (50) years;
- To acquire, construct, own, repair, add to; extend, improve, equip, operate, maintain and manage projects, as hereinabove defined, the costs of any such project to be paid in whole or in part, from the proceeds of revenue bonds of the Authority or from such proceeds and any grant or contribution from the United States of America or any agency or instrumentality thereof or from the State of Georgia or any agency or instrumentality thereof;
- To accept loans and/or grants of money or materials or property of any kind from the United States of America or any agency or instrumentality thereof, upon such terms and conditions as the United States of America or such agency or instrumentality may require;
- To accept loans and/or grants of money or materials or property of any kind from the State of Georgia or any agency or instrumentality or political subdivision thereof; upon such terms and conditions as the State of Georgia or such agency or instrumentality or political subdivision may require;
- To borrow money for any of its corporate purposes and to issue negotiable revenue bonds payable solely from funds pledged for that purpose, and to provide for the payment of the same and for the rights of the holders thereof;
- To exercise any power usually possessed by private corporations performing similar functions, which is not in conflict with the Constitution and laws of this State; and
- To do all things necessary or convenient to carry out the powers expressly given in this Act.
|Appointed By||Position||Name||Representing||Term Expires|
|Chairman's Appointment||Vice Chairperson||Bryan Kerlin||12/31/2020|
|District 1 Appointment||Chairperson||Larry Genn||12/31/2020|
|District 2 Appointment||J C Lan||12/31/2020|
|District 3 Appointment||Secretary||James Pirkle||12/31/2020|
|District 4 Appointment||Diometra Aldridge||12/31/2020|