Menu Display

View Press Release Portlet


(Lawrenceville, Ga., Feb. 7, 2023)  Firefighters responded at 6:56 a.m. to a bystander’s report of a house fire on the 3000 block of Sir Gregory Manor in Lawrenceville. The 911 caller advised the house was on fire and flames were coming from the carport. Initially, the caller stated there was one occupant still in the house, but they were able to confirm everyone was out of the house.

Upon arrival, crews found a working fire at a single-story residence on a basement; flames were engulfing the structure. While investigating, firefighters found extensive fire involvement from the carport into much of the home. Crews deployed multiple hose lines to extinguish the flames. Searches of the structure revealed the home to be clear of occupants, although two cats were unable to escape the flames and were found by crews. Firefighters did find structural instability in the floor system, but crews were able search the tenable areas of the home. Firefighters ensured all fire was extinguished in the structure and ventilated until the home was cleared of all smoke. Once the fire was controlled, extensive fire damage to the carport, kitchen, and main floor was found. There was also significant water, smoke, and fire damage to the basement of the home. Two occupants of the home were transported by medical crews to a local hospital for non-life-threatening injuries. One other occupant was assessed and released by medical providers on the scene.

According to one of the occupants, she was drinking coffee, opened the door to the carport and was overcome by smoke and flames. At the time of the fire, there were five occupants at home and were able to escape from the burning structure. The occupant advised they do smoke in the carport but was unsure if anyone had this day. The owner stated there were no working fire alarms present in the house, however, a bystander did say they heard audible fire alarms at the time of the fire. Five adults were displaced due to the fire. The American Red Cross assistance was requested and will be assisting the occupants during repairs. 

Fire Investigators determined the origin was located in the carport, smoking material was found in the area. Investigators stated the fire was accidental. 

Firefighters encourage all citizens to practice home fire safety. Be sure to install working smoke alarms on every level of the home and in each bedroom. Develop a home escape plan and practice fire drills regularly. For additional information on home fire safety, please contact the Gwinnett Fire and Emergency Services’ Community Risk Reduction Division at 678.518.4845 or email


Back to previous page