View Press Release Portlet
LILBURN HOME DESTROYED BY EARLY MORNING FIRE
(Lilburn, Ga., November 22, 2022) - Firefighters responded to a 911 report of a house fire on the 3200 block of Jack Russell Run SW in Lilburn at 1:03 a.m. The homeowner reported that there was a fire in his fireplace and now the house was on fire.
Fire crews arrived at 1:04 a.m. to find a two-story, single-family dwelling on a basement with fire exiting the roof line. After completing a walk-around, firefighters deployed multiple handlines to combat the flames. A Rapid Intervention Team (RIT) established a second means of egress on two sides of the structure while apparatus operators connected to a fire hydrant across the street. Thorough searches of the home confirmed that everyone had safely escaped.
The homeowner informed firefighters he had been out of the country for several months. After returning home he noticed that the natural gas service to his residence had been disconnected. Due to the cold temperatures, he had built a fire in his gas fireplace. The homeowner reports that he heard crackling from inside the wall. He realized his house was on fire when the wall felt hot to the touch. He immediately called 911. The homeowner confirmed that there were no working smoke alarms inside the structure. The American Red Cross will be assisting two adult residents and one dog during repairs. There were no injuries reported at this incident and fire crews rotated through rehab before returning to service. Firefighters determined the fire to be accidental in nature with a fire originating in the fireplace as the cause.
The U.S. Fire Administration recognizes that fires occur more in the winter months than at any other time of year. It is recommended that heating equipment and chimneys are cleaned and inspected by professionals every year. For more safety information visit GwinnettSafety411.com
EQUIPMENT AT THE SCENE INCLUDED: 4- Engines, 2- Ladder Trucks, 1- Squad, 2- Command Staff Units, 1- Rescue, 1- Med Unit, 1- MS, 1- Air and Light Unit, and 1- PIO.
Note: For pictures of this incident please visit our Facebook and Twitter page @GwinnettFire.