Menu Display

View Press Release Portlet


(Stone Mountain, Ga., Jun. 13, 2023) - At 8:40 a.m. this morning, firefighters were dispatched to a report of a business fire at 5074 Stone Mountain Highway SW in Stone Mountain. A passerby called 911 to report that they had witnessed smoke and flames coming from the roof of a Frontera Tex-Mex restaurant. The 911 center continued to receive multiple calls regarding the business fire.

Firefighters arrived at 8:44 a.m. and confirmed a working fire on a single-story, large commercial building with smoke and fire exiting from the roof line. Firefighters deployed multiple fire hoses and searched the building for victims. Fire crews were able to complete the search and exit the structure before the roof collapsed. Ladder trucks were then used to gain control of the fire at 9:04 a.m. Following extinguishment, firefighters ventilated the structure, monitored air quality conditions, and continued to address hot spots. Walton EMC and Atlanta Gas Light responded to secure utilities during the repairs.

A conversation with restaurant workers revealed that a cook was the only employee in the building when the fire started. The cook said that he observed an external neon light on the side of the business break, causing a spark that ignited the roof line. There were no injuries reported during this incident. Crews rotated through rehab before returning to service. Firefighters said that the cause of the accidental fire was related to an electrical malfunction.


EQUIPMENT AT THE SCENE INCLUDED: 3-Engines, 2-Trucks, 1-Rescue, 1-Squad, 1-Med Unit, 2-Command Staff Vehicles, 1-Air and Light, 4- Fire Investigators, and 1-PIO.


Note: For pictures of this incident please visit our Facebook and Twitter page @GwinnettFire.



Back to previous page