Water in Gwinnett County officially moved into the modern era when Congress authorized the construction of Buford Dam on the Chattahoochee River in 1950 to provide hydroelectric power, flood control, water supply, and recreational facilities for the region. Lake Lanier—the main water source for Gwinnett County—was created by the completion of Buford Dam which began filling in 1956. The County established the water system in 1958 and the sewer system about 10 years later.
The County constructed many of its major water and sewer main lines in the 1970s, which proved to be an essential step in preparing for the next decade. From 1986 through 1988, Gwinnett ranked as the fastest growing county in the U.S. among counties with a population greater than 100,000. Today, the county is home to almost a million residents with continued growth on the horizon.
The Department of Water Resources (DWR) manages and maintains the publicly owned water, sewer, and stormwater infrastructure for our rapidly growing population and provides clean water for Gwinnett County at an excellent value. To learn more about what DWR does, click here.