Hurricane Irma Readiness
(Lawrenceville, Georgia) As Hurricane Irma begins moving north toward Georgia, Gwinnett County emergency personnel are making final preparations for the storm’s arrival. For the duration of the weather event, follow @GwinnettPd on Twitter and visit www.gwinnettcounty.com for official real time information about how the storm is impacting Gwinnett County.
The Gwinnett County Office of Emergency Management is coordinating with the Georgia Emergency Management Agency and the federal Department of Homeland Security along with Gwinnett cities, agencies, and departments. Gwinnett County Government urges residents and businesses to take steps to prepare for the storm. Here are some tips to help protect life and property, and, if necessary, to recover from disaster.
- Check your mobile device to ensure the emergency alerts feature is enabled and activated
- Make a plan for the safety of your family and pets that should cover where to go in the house in the event of a tornado, where to meet after, and a list of emergency numbers to call
- Assemble a disaster supplies kit that includes things like first aid, a battery-powered or hand-crank radio, batteries, canned food and a can opener, a flashlight, and at least three gallons of water per day per person
- Have your insurance and other documentation safe, sealed and ready for use
- Take photos of your house inside and out
- Back up data on electronic devices, such as computers; charge your mobile electronics
- Bring in or secure outdoor furniture
- Fill up gas tanks, secure a can of fix-a-flat for your vehicle, and have extra cash on hand
- Visit www.gema.ga.gov for a list of shelter locations that have opened in Georgia if you or a loved one needs shelter