OVERNIGHT FIRE RAVAGES DACULA HOME

(Dacula, Ga., August 10, 2019) – An overnight fire ravaged a home in the 1800 block of Nichols Landing Way in Dacula. Firefighters responded to the scene at 3:28am on Saturday, August 10, 2019.

Crews arrived at 3:35am to find heavy flames breaking through the roof of a single-story, wood-frame house on a slab. Firefighters quickly deployed fire attack hose lines and immediately entered the home to battle the blaze and conduct a primary search. Interior crews were forced to back out moments later as part of the roof and rear wall collapsed. Fire crews flowed water from an aerial ladder pipe and hand lines to control the blaze and protect nearby exposures. The blaze caused heavy damage to the home and contents. Radiant heat from the intense fire caused part of the vinyl siding to melt on two neighboring houses. Firefighters worked fast and were able to keep the flames from spreading inside the neighboring homes in the culde-sac.

The homeowner told firefighters that they awoke to the smell of smoke and saw fire burning around the chimney at the back of the house. The family, 2-adults and 2-children, escaped unharmed and called 911. The American Red Cross was contacted to provide temporary assistance for the displaced family.

According to the Fire Investigator, the blaze appears accidental and was possibly sparked by a fire pit on the back patio. Flames had already spread to the attic via the exterior wall before sending smoke inside the house. The smoke alarms sounded as the family was exiting the home. An occupant stated that the fire pit had been used earlier in the evening, but was believed to have been extinguished.

This fire is a good reminder of the importance of following proper fire safety practices. Be sure to look for and eliminate home hazards that could cause a fire to start or grow in intensity. Install working smoke alarms on every level of the home and in each of the bedrooms. Develop a home fire escape plan and practice fire drills regularly. Keep a portable (ABC) fire extinguisher close at hand to douse a small fire and have a collapsible fire escape ladder for upper floors.

For additional information on home fire safety, please contact the Gwinnett Fire Community Risk Reduction/Education Section at 678.518.4845 or email fireprograms@gwinnettcounty.com.

Back to previous page