AFTERNOON FIRE DAMAGES DULUTH TOWNHOMES
(Duluth, Ga., August 14, 2021) – Firefighters responded to a passerby report of a house fire at 4032 Oak Glenn Drive in Duluth. Caller to 9-1-1 reported seeing flames on the back porch and back side of the house.
Arriving units found a four-unit town home with heavy smoke and fire from the unit on the left side. Crews made an aggressive interior attack and made their way to the second floor of the primary fire unit where they were met with intense heat and the decision was made to back crews out and knock down the fire from the outside. After getting a knock down, crews went back inside and extinguished the fire. Two units sustained heavy fire damage and smoke damage was noted to the other two units. All fire crews cleared rehab and replenished fluids prior to returning to service. The Red Cross responded to the scene and is providing aid to those families who requested it.
The responding Fire Investigator determined that the fire started from a charcoal grill on the porch. The resident stated that they were grilling earlier in the day, thought the fire was extinguished and were not home when the fire started. Two family pets were removed from the building alive, one is still missing. The dog was treated on scene with oxygen and was returned to the family. This incident serves as a reminder of the importance of ensuring that all charcoal is fully extinguished with plenty of water prior to leaving a grill unattended.
EQUIPMENT AT THE SCENE INCLUDED: 8-Engines, 2-Ladder Trucks, 1-Squad, 1-Medic Unit, 1-Air & Light Unit, 2-Battalion Chiefs, 1-Rehab Unit, 1-District Chief, 1-PIO and 1-Fire Investigator.